Having an Oyster Roast or Clam Bake? Save those Shells!
Save Oyster Shells (S.O.S.) for the Lynnhaven. If your organization (or you personally) have an oyster roast coming up, give us a call! We will pick up the oyster shell following your roast, and they will be cured and later used on a sanctuary oyster reef! Call 962-5398 or email.
In the Summer of 2006, Lynnhaven River NOW launched a pilot program with 8 Virginia Beach restaurants as well as public donations to gather and recycle oyster and clam shells which were used to build our LRNow/Athey Island Oyster Reef in the Spring of 2008. The pilot program was so successful, it is now an ongoing program in partnership with the City of Virginia Beach.
Look for the blue trash cans labeled "Shell Only" at these Public Drop-off Sites for your Oyster and Clam shells:
- Lynnhaven River NOW office, Brock Environmental Center, 3663 Marlin Bay Dr, Virginia Beach, VA 23455 (near the parking lot entrance from Marlin Bay Dr, set atop a wooden platform)
- Lynnhaven River NOW satellite office, 1608 Pleasure House Road, Suite 108.
- VA Aquarium in the Satellite Parking Lot, 717 General Booth Blvd. (This is the parking lot ACROSS General Booth Blvd. from the main Aquarium building.)
- Welton's Seafood, 940 Laskin Road, Virginia Beach
- Virginia Beach Landfill, 1989 Jake Sears Road, ask for directions at the gate.
Check out a video of how we collect our shell here:
Here is our own version of the Virginia Beach Oyster (shellfish) Trail! These VB Restaurants are saving their oyster & clam shells for us, and we hope you will patronize them and thank them for their participation:
- 21st Street Seafood Company, 2106 Pacific Avenue
- Abbey Road Restaurant, 203 22nd Street
- Blue Seafood and Spirits, 2181 Upton Drive, Suite 420
- Bubba's, 3323 Shore Drive
- Captain George's, 1956 Laskin Road
- Chick's Oyster Bar, 2143 Vista Circle
- Coastal Grill, 1427 N. Great Neck Road, #104
- CP Shuckers, 1400 Atlantic Avenue
- CP Shuckers, 3232 Shore Drive
- Croakers, 3629 Shore Drive
- Croc's 19th Street Bistro, 620 19th Street
- Dockside, 3311 Shore Drive
- Five 01 City Grill, 501 North Birdneck Road
- Harpoon Larry's, 216 24th Street
- Lucky Oyster, 2165 General Booth Boulevard
- Metropolitan Oyster Exchange, 972 Laskin Road
- Ocean Eddie's, 1506 Atlantic Avenue
- Rockafeller's, 308 Mediterranean Avenue
- Salt, 1716 Pleasure House Road, #101
- Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel,3501 Atlantic Avenue
- Steinhilber's, 653 Thalia Road
- Swan Terrace, 5641 Indian River Road
- Tautog's, 205 23rd Street
- Yukai Seafood Buffet, 1952 Laskin Road